Tuesday, July 26, 2016

My Favorite Young Adult Books on Death and Grieving

When you're going through something, there's nothing quite like a song, a movie, a book, something out there that lets you know someone else knows a little (or a lot) about how you're feeling. I can't tell you how many times a good story or a song on the radio was exactly what I needed in a dark chapter of my life. As someone who has suffered from a lot of loss, I love a good book about death and grieving. Listed below are my favorites on the subject.

 I read Say Goodnight Gracie by Julie Reece Deaver as a teenager. I loved it so much, I read it three times. I rarely read a book more than once. This story about a girl who loses her best friend really tugs at your heart.
 One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies by Sonya Sones: The title of this book drew me to it. A good read about grief and how unfair life can be when you're uprooted from the life you know and have to start over from scratch.
 The beautifully written Willow by Julia Hoban was enthralling, but hard to read. Willow, who feels responsible for her parents' death, turns to cutting to numb the pain.
I also read Tiger Eyes, by Judy Blume, a story of a girl whose father is killed during a hold-up at a convenience store when I was a teen and read it again as an adult. I enjoyed it both times. I also liked the movie. This heart-wrenching tale really resonated with me.
 I really enjoyed Hold Still by Nina LaCour, which is about a girl whose friend commits suicide. The story is memorable and haunting, the writing gorgeous and honest.
I'm shamelessly adding my own book Pictures of You to the list, based loosely on my story of losing my very best friend, mixed with my grandma's story of loss, with dashes of fiction throughout. I can't promise you'll like it, but I secretly love this story and the fictional characters that are roughly based off people I used to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment